News from the Somerset County Board of County Commissioners
Shanel Y. Robinson, Commissioner Director | Melonie Marano, Commissioner Deputy Director
Doug Singleterry, Commissioner | Sara Sooy, Commissioner | Paul M. Drake, Commissioner
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 5, 2022
Somerset County Clerk Steve Peter Holding Mobile Office
for First Time Since COVID
Residents Can Get Help with Voter Registration, Mail-In Ballots, Passports, Notary Services and More
SOMERVILLE, NJ – Somerset County Clerk Steve Peter announced that, for the first time since COVID shut the service down two years ago, he will be offering mobile office hours to communities throughout the County. The first mobile office will be held at the Montgomery Township Municipal Building on Saturday, May 14 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
“We are thrilled to be able to get out into the community again and hold Mobile County Clerk hours close to where people live and work, helping with passports, Veteran’s IDs, vote-by-mail ballots and registering to vote,” said Somerset County Clerk Peter. “The County Clerk’s Office provided uninterrupted services throughout the pandemic, but with case rates falling we’re now able to restore our mobile hours that were so popular and convenient before COVID struck.”
County Clerk Peter instituted mobile office hours in the summer of 2019 to expand access to the vital services. Unfortunately, when COVID hit New Jersey so hard in the spring of 2020 the Mobile County Clerk’s Office project was suspended until the public health crisis subsided. With the support of the Somerset County Department of Health, it was determined that the time had come to restore the program.
Services available at the Mobile County Clerk’s Office include:
- Registering to vote or applying for a mail-in-ballot
- Applying for a U.S. Passport
- Applying for a Veteran’s ID, Peddler’s License, or Gold Star Parent ID
- Filing Military Discharge papers
- Being sworn in as a Notary (must have previously obtained a Notary Commission Certificate)
- Registering for the Property Recording Notification Service to be alerted when the County Clerk records a document in your name
Additionally, the Mobile County Clerk’s Office will have information on:
- Filing or researching deeds for real property in Somerset County
- Registering a trade name for your Somerset County business
- Filing petitions to run for public office
- The process for becoming a Notary Public
Municipal governments, non-profit organizations, houses of worship, and other groups interested in hosting the Mobile County Clerk’s Office can make the request by calling 908-231-7013 or emailing email@example.com.
Regular business hours for the Somerset County Clerk’s Office, located in the County Administration Building at 20 Grove Street in Somerville, NJ, are Monday through Friday from 8:15 a.m.
to 4 p.m. Extended hours are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m.